Quattrocento: Italian Renaissance Architecture
Basilica di San Lorenzo di
The Basilica di San Lorenzo is located in
When it was consecrated in 393, it stood outside
Giovanni di Bicci deMedici offered to finance a new church in 1419. This would replace the 11th century Romanesque church.
About 1450, Filippo Brunelleschi, architect, was commissioned to design the new building. The new building with alterations was not finished until after Brunelleschi was dead.
The Basilica di
The Basilica is in the same area as other important architectural works: the old Sacristy by Brunelleschi, the Laurentian library by Michaelangelo, the new sacristy based on the designs of Michaelangelo and the Medici Chapels by Matteo Nigetti.