Skip to content

Italian renaissance architecture and Mantova

Posted in Uncategorized

QUATTROCENTO:  Italian Renaissance Architecture
The characteristics of Italian Renaissance architecture were adapted from Classical Roman architecture.  The forms, purposes of buildings, and structures of cities have changed over time.  Renaissance architecture, too, has changed to meet these needs.
The plans of Renaissance buildings have a square and geometric pattern and are based on a module.  The module in a church is usually the width of an aisle. The need to amalgamate the design of a plan with the front of a building became an issue for architect Filippo Brunelleschi.  But, his plan for unification never was realized.
The first building to display the module plan was St. Andrea in Mantova –designed by architect Alberti.  The evolution of the plan was to take place in the 16th century and the work was done by the architect Palladio.
Commisioned by Ludovico Il Gonzaga, the Basilica di Sant’Andrea is a Renaissance church in Mantova in  Lombardia Region of  Italy.  It was built in 1472 according to the designs of architect, Leon Battista Alberti.  It was constructed on a site occupied by a Benedictine monastery.  The bell tower of the monastery is the only thing that remains of the original building.  The purpose of the new building was to house pilgrims who visited during the Feast of the Ascension.
 Technorati Tags : , , , , , , , , ,
Powered By Qumana

 

Translate »

Designed by Brian Hanshaw

%d bloggers like this: